Wilderness Canoe Travel Overnight
Learn the essential skills necessary for safe and efficient wilderness canoe travel, while on a two-night, two-day canoe journey on the Connecticut River.
Students will learn paddle strokes and canoe maneuvering, reading currents and river contours, portaging and lining techniques, and how to load and balance canoes for expedition travel. Students will also learn canoe camping skills, open fire cooking skills, and preparedness for inclement weather.
Physical demands: Paddling roughly 30 miles, one to two portages (hauling boats and equipment around a dam and possibly an unnavigable rapids), camping and sleeping on the ground, exposure to elements for 48 hours
- CRN: 60602
- Instructor: Mark Kutolowski ‘99
- Inclusive dates of the course: July 3rd; July 6-8
- Meeting days and times: Tuesday July 3rd 7-9pm; 3pm Friday July 6th- 3pm Sunday July 8th
- Course location: Begin at Ledyard end at Ascutney, VT
- Requirement for PE credit: Attend all sessions
- Max Number of students for enrollment: 10
- Course cost: $210